I will admit – this has more ingredients and requires a scosh more effort than usual, but my family will tell you that it’s absolutely worth it!
- 1-1/2 cup bulgur (dry) – cooked according to directions
- 3 sweet potatoes, skinned, diced and boiled until just soft
- 3 bell peppers, diced
- large onion, diced
- 1 can of sliced olives
- olive oil
Place diced peppers and olives in a large mixing bowl. Cover with cooked bulgur. This will cool the bulgur and soften the peppers slightly.
Mix up vinaigrette:
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder (adjust all spices to taste! this is pretty spicy)
Pan fry sweet potatoes and onion in a little olive oil until they are brown and crispy.
Add potatoes and vinaigrette to the mixing bowl, toss well, chill and serve! (or if you’re a hungry hippo like us – eat it right away!)
This keeps in the fridge remarkably well and would be a fantastic lunch!