Watch out, world! Emily and Haley are inventing! Next time I’ll get a video of us hovering over the blender, tasting, discussing, adjusting… it was hilarious! Don’t know if we were more chef-y or evil scientist-y!
I’ve been seeing a lot of recipes for cashew “cheese” and I’ll definitely be trying them soon. Last night I was pressed for time (craaazy day) but was determined to put my new stockpile of raw cashews to work!
The result was heavenly smooth, rich and smokey with a hint of nutty cheesiness. The possibilities are endless! Use it as a dip or a sandwich spread! The best part is that a little goes a long way!
Smoky Cashew Queso
- 1-1/2 cups raw cashews (cashew pieces are less than half the price of whole cashews in bulk!)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- scant 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (oh em gee – this is awesome)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/3 cup salsa, strained
Combine all items in blender and blend until completely smooth.
- 1 tube prepared polenta (or make your own!), cut in slices
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and strained
- smokey cashew queso
- avocado (I used pre-packaged guacamole from Costco because avocados are gross now)
- salt, pepper
- cilantro, chopped
Heat a large non-stick skillet on a medium-high flame with a small amount of oil. (too much oil and your polenta will be greasy – which is what I did. boo.) Fry polenta slices on each side until golden brown.
In a small sauce pan, heat kidney beans with 1 cup of salsa. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Layer polenta, beans, queso, avocado and salsa. Top with chopped cilantro.
* The kid made this plate! Impressive!!
p.s. This whole dish is DELICIOUS as cold leftovers!